Sunday, July 8, 2007

RSS Feeds

RSS feeds really are an invaluable way of subscribing to and managing content on the web. This is an exciting but somewhat daunting concept. I have subscribed to several podcasts that interest me, and I'm really enjoying listening to them, but I am still a little confused about how these RSS feeds work for gathering other kinds of information on the Web and the best ways of collecting and organizing all this great stuff. I am also finding it kind of hard to keep up on all the information that I've subscribed to! I could spend tons of time just reading the information I'm receiving from the New York Times technology page. When I open Google Reader, I have so much information to look through. I guess that's a good problem to have: too much good information. Organizing it all is an interesting challenge.

After reading Will Richardson's chapter on RSS feeds, I think it will be interesting to experiment with different aggregators and compare the services they offer.

RSS feeds are a very useful resource for teachers and librarians. Being able to subscribe to the information that you want to share with your students, helping them get learn to do the same for projects and reports, is really an amazing step forward. Finally, all this available information on the intermet is getting easier to find and have sent right to your own computer.

1 comment:

mlittle said...

Richardson warns up right upfront to work our way slowly through the RSS chapter. I, of course, ignored his warning, and read it straight through! I do feel as if I need to spend time trying out many of the different things he discusses to better understand RSS. I was really amazed to read that you can use RSS to automate an internet search, so if new webpages are created on a particular topic, you will be notified in your reader. That is powerful!